Saturday, January 04, 2014

48 Across

Trying to solve yesterday's Wall Street Journal crossword, is this clue for 48 Across: Crude oil, informally.  I've known this answer since my age was in single digits, over 40 years.

It involves a man named Jed (a poor mountaineer) who barely kept his family fed. Then one day he was shootin' at some food, when up from the ground comes a bubblin' crude (oil that is, black gold, Texas Tea).

And there it is - TEXAS TEA -the answer.

I am beginning to think crosswords are a form of meditation, unearthing pleasant memories, allowing a few moments of enjoyment, and then on to the next.

Here's my hero Uncle Jed:



 PS  unpleasant memories,  I've tried to quarantine, expurgate, and cement them away. The one of my youngest brother having a small playground slide cutting open his nose when he was 3 or 4 years old almost made its way out over the holidays but I reined it back into its pen.

oh and by the way, I love the TV show the Beverly Hillbillies, absolute gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment