Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Limericks

Somehow last night limericks came up in casual conversation. A "brief statement of faith" is required as part of my officer training to the church session. I told Tory I should serve mine up in the form of a limerick. It probably hasn't been done before so I might be seen as an innovator or a visionary.

November is National Write A Novel In A Month month. I don't think I can do that. But I bet I can write a limerick each day of November. I shall give it a go. I put the over under a about 5 days.

It won't be enough to write limericks though. Much like Chopin reinvented the scherzo, prelude, and etude, I shall attempt to elevate the limerick to a new poetic artform. Limericks have typically been on the bawdy, off color side - I will have none of that! IE the following will not appear ....

The once was a man named Glass
Whose [insert male reproductive organs here] were made of brass
If he rubbed them together
During bad weather
Lightning would shoot out of his arse.

None of that!

I may slip in a haiku or two.

1 comment:

  1. Post mortem: Well, I did 10. A few more than I thought I'd do. Overall - project failed. Sigh. Its difficult to find material. And the medium doesn't lend itself to lofty mental exercise.

    ReplyDelete